Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I am thankful for...

I am totally procrastinating...I need to be cleaning up the house, packing for Dallas, and making sweet potatoes (I'll let you know how those turn out!), however I feel that I must join the rest of those taking the time to reflect on what we're thankful for. There are so many things...

And in the midst of the list, I'm throwing in pictures from around the house, for two reasons. First, I'm so inspired and love seeing your everyday lives/homes. It is so fun to catch a glimpse of what people's living space looks like. And second, I LOVE LOVE fall, and fall decorations, and I know when we get back I'll have to take them down (although I do love decorating for Christmas too!) so I wanted a little piece of fall to keep for the rest of the year...

Here are some things I'm thankful for (not comprehensive by any means!!)...

  • My husband. My best friend. The fact that we love each other in the midst of who we "really" are. The fact that he "gets" me and still loves me. Its not always easy, I'll admit that, but I'm SO super thankful to walk this path with him.
  • Health, our home, abundant food, clean water...the little things that are so easy to take for granted until they're gone...
  • Friendships...even though so many of my "kindred spirits" are long-distance these days, I am grateful to even have them in the first place. I am so thankful for the women who "really" know me and let me be myself (which I'm not always good at) and who totally love me, and see the good in me...thank you...
  • For this sweet little season of getting to stay at home with Kallen. And with that, a huge amount of thankfulness for a husband who's willing to work his butt off so I can have this little luxury. I will admit, I don't always have the "right perspective" on this (ie--last night!!) but it is such a treasure and I am so thankful for this time, however long it may last.

  • For hope. Not the hope like, "I hope"...but that raw hope that meets you in a dark place and takes your hand and shows you a glimpse of light. Wow, I'm so thankful for hope..

PS, I heart this soup tureen. I don't think I've ever used it, but I love it and I just learned how to actually spell "tureen" :)
  • Beauty. I'm such a sucker for beauty. I think that's why Houston can be such a hard place for me, although I'm learning how to find beauty here. But there's nothing that makes my heart beat like seeing the vast ocean, and smelling the salty air, or seeing a huge mountain covered in green or white, or a breathtaking sunset, or a gorgeous painting, or hearing one of those songs--you know, "those songs" that just takes your breath away, and you have to listen to it over and over (I usually end up unfortunately doing this until I hate it..ha!)

  • Freedom. I want to breathe in freedom and let it capture me in a way that allows me to walk in it every moment. I am still learning and growing in this, but I am SO thankful for freedom. Freedom from guilt, freedom from my shortcomings, freedom from my failures. Freedom to really truly love others. Freedom to forgive...I could certainly go on and on...

  • My family. Wow. I'm so thankful. We are certainly not perfect, but we love each other. And I think we get more "real" at loving each other with every day. I am so thankful for my parents and the friendship I share with them now, and for my brother and sister and their friendship, and the way they can relate to me like no one else. They can make me laugh so hard I have tears streaming down my face. And I am so very thankful to be a part of Brian's family. I feel so at home in their home, and I love who they are and the way they love. Its amazing. I love them so much.
  • And if there is any way under the sun you're still reading, you can guess my final little thank you is certainly for my little man. They say you won't be able to picture life before them, and wow, we laugh at how much that is true. What a joy to see a little human being experience life right before your very eyes. I totally snuck in during his naptime and took these which was VERY risky---but precious. Sorry they're so grainy!...


Our thank-you lists all look very different, and that is so beautiful. What might be a blessing for one, may totally be an area of pain for another. I think that's where we can really miss out on our own gifts, when we compare them too much to the gifts of others. We are all so unique, our lives little tapestries with different designs and colors..no matter what is going on in your life, there is beauty and so much to be thankful for.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

8 comments:

debra parker said...

love this!!

so thankful I know your sweet self.

Anonymous said...

Well said my precious daughter!
Right now I am basking in your thoughts and don't really want to add anything at all....just that I love you! You continue to amaze me as I watch this journey of growth! HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Give our love to the Smiths ! We are thankful for them, too!

(love the pictures, you have a great eye!) XOXO

diane smith said...

Beautiful home, beautiful words, beautiful son.

Thank you so much for a look into you life and your heart. And we are so thankful to have you as family.

Courtney said...

i loved seeing your home! i wouldn't have pictured you with all those fall decorations! isn't that funny??

LOVED all your thoughts...thanks for sharing your heart!

thankful for YOU!!

Ali said...

great pics. love your house and decorations. those are all such great things to be thankful for, thanks for sharing!

Christy said...

Love your heart and your pictures, the way you share and articulate life! SO thankful for YOU! :)

Mandy said...

I love these pictures!!!!! And, I love your post - awesome. Can't wait to see you!

beckley said...

i'm thankful for you.

love you.
r