Let me start by saying, spring cleaning is not for the faint of heart.
I think I've mentioned that in the past month or so I've been BOMBARDED by articles, books, etc regarding organization, decluttering, and getting rid of your JUNK. One resource recommended starting with the area of your house/life that scares you the most. For me that would certainly be our hall closets. I mean, most days you have a pretty good chance that when you open the door, something you aren't looking for is going to fall on your head. Yes, the closets are at least a good place to start.
I wish I had pictures----next time I'll take pictures. Its been a hilarious process. Another resource recommended having 3 big trash bags: 1. trash, 2. give away, 3. sell. We made just two, trash & give away/sell. In my perfect dream world I would have an incredible garage sale, complete with lemonade and a band and possibly homemade scones, but in reality I will have 5 trash bags sitting in my guest bedroom until next Christmas. Goodwill it should be.
Saturday was raining here so I was able to drag Brian into the process and we cleaned his whole closet and the guest bedroom. WOW. One of the ironies of decluttering is that you first have to make the biggest most intimidating and overwhelming mess you have ever seen. It really is not the most FUN activity I've done.
And this time I am not playing around. I am trying my hardest to make split decisions, throw things into appropriate bags and NOT TURN BACK. I don't always play by these rules, and I'm still deliberating the curtain rod with the pearly mosaic bulbs on either end. I mean, they must be from Target, but what IF I suddenly need a random curtain rod??? Sheesh...
In the process of all this drawer opening, closet emptying I have found a lot of fun things I had forgotten about. I found some old school film that hadn't been developed. Do they even develop "real film" anymore? Apparently they do, and when I had them developed at Costco I was so excited to find they were pictures from our last days living in San Diego (and I found out that the film said best if developed before 11/2007). They brought back SO many good memories...
Brian at my efficiency apartment; please note that I decorated with pages from magazines. My efficiency was hilarious. Words can't even describe it...

Me at my job at Whole Foods in the Nutrition dept (don't those shelves behind me look organized???!!!) with one of my managers, Tom, who was really great... (would you be interested in knowing my pre-work routine??... run at the beach, hop into the ocean, change into my work clothes in the car, head off to Whole Foods...I know...)

Brian with his buddies Andy and Troy. We got to see Andy and his family while we were in CA in October which was awesome.
Me and my dear friend Brooke---who I actually got to see here in Houston in January when she came to visit :)
Surf Divas surf camp in LaJolla!!!
A sweet season of our lives, and some great memories for sure. I think one of the things in my life I'm the most grateful I did was move to San Diego...oh, and marry Brian....and have Kallen of course...
(oh and let me add that I found a whole shoebox of pictures from college------WOW...)




4 comments:
I love the pic of Andy! Wow, he is a hottie! ;) He liked it too and had me copy it. Don't be surprised if it shows up on facebook :)
OK..I am just sitting here smiling...maybe some laughing... at your pictures, your house cleaning...and of course, just YOU!! There is only ONE Christy in this world and you just gotta love her!! I know I do...with all my heart!!!
Very fun to have those pictures developed! Good work on all your quick decisions to let things go....I know that can be hard! The results will be so worth it!!
and, of course, singing Sound of Music with shower caps on and taking pictures.
hahaha
miss you.
where ARE you?!!?!
Post a Comment