Monday, October 20, 2008

My first night away...


...well, after a very L-O-N-G Thursday night by myself, where Kallen actually woke up every hour---really quite impressive for a four month old- starting at 1:30 he proceeded to wake up at 2:30, 3:30 and so on until 5:30...wow! Our women's retreat for church was this weekend and I had been planning on bringing Kallen since I'm still breastfeeding and there was going to be a "baby cabin" with 2 other moms. However, after all of the excitement on Thursday night I decided that mommy needed a vacation :) and I would rather have some quality time getting to know girls, than quantity!!! So I opted to go by myself and come home Sat night instead of Sunday...
A little nervous about my first night away from Kallen, but determined to follow through, I headed out to the country, to "Cat Spring" about an hour from Houston...and can I just say it was absolutely magical! To be able to have conversations and actually listen instead of saying, "excuse me I think we have a poopy diaper"...or say "so sorry he's screaming, yeah, I really don't KNOW what's wrong??"...
Now, I have to admit I did have some ulterior/alterior (how do you spell that??) motives---of course hoping that Brian would be able to see just how difficult it is to be a mother---now you already KNOW that that plan ALWAYS backfires, but certainly after waking up every HOUR Kallen would have some fun tricks for daddy in mom's absence...
Oh nonsense of course! He slept from 11pm till 8am---yeah, he's NEVER EVER slept that long--oh well...and yeah, I laid in bed until 3am wide awake worrying about my 2 boys back home! Oh well---all that to say what an awesome weekend, an awesome getaway, and an awesome group of women. I'm inspired, encouraged and so thankful for my sweet husband (oh, did I mention that I forgot the MAIN piece of my breast pump, so Brian had to drive out with Kallen to drop it off--) good grief!! Anyway, it was just wonderful...its amazing how therapeutic a change of perspective can be!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great husband you have !!! Not many dads would agree to take care of a nursing 4 month old for 24 hours ! So happy to hear you had an awesome time ! You two make a great team! That is what it's all about!! Kudos to the Smith family!!! Love and miss you.