Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Veggies!!!!!!!!!



Ok, so trust me I have a lot more going on around here than veggies :) "veggies" make me sound like I'm so healthy and happy and amazing but really I just want to tell you about some veggie things, and I promise I WILL get back to that whole "health" bit that I was trying to do!! (Next up will be workouts for mama's in response to my lovely beautiful friend who asked how to loose baby weight, although I did see her RIGHT before she gave birth and I'm pretty much positive there is no post baby weight to be had---but regardless, I'm very excited to post about mama workouts!!!)

And please, someone tell me that they write blog posts in their head. I have written, probably over 20, very thought provoking posts in my head in the past few days----really, I have!! About all sorts of things----deep things, fun things, things that make me crazy, things that I'm curious about (such as keeping your hygiene standards in your home while trying to teach a little one to use the toilet---I'm really serious on this one!! How the heck???!!!!! Am I more OCD than I'd like to admit????)


Well, back to veggies, I just wanted to tell you again about the Central City Co-0p if you live in Houston. We went a while back, but kinda fell out of the routine, and we're going again now and I am just so very thankful for them. If you live in Houston, its really an amazing organization----you order your "shares" of fruits/veggies a wk ahead, and now they have eggs and meat, and dried beans etc---everything is organic and as local as possible. I get a small fruit share and a small "mixed" share and it totals $30 and seriously have MORE than enough fruits and veggies for us for a week, AND we're eating so much more real food than we normally do at the grocery store. So, IF you live in Houston I love love love them and I think you will too!!

Ok, and if you are still reading this super random post-----one of my main challenges this time at the Co-op is NOT throwing anything away (or in the composter!) and trying to use the things that intimidate or scare me (ie: kale-which is now a favorite, eggplant-gross!, cabbage, bok choy----those are a few of MY not so favorite things...)

Sooooo...I've been looking up recipes to use things in and I'm going to post them along the side just as a reference, so I hope they may come in helpful for you too!!!

For instance, I had this whole head of cabbage, and what in the world do you do with that????? Besides make cole slaw which was not an option. Well, I found this amazing (really I'm serious!) recipe for Sauteed Cabbage. It was SO good and Brian and I would barely share with each other the cold leftovers the next day. (oh, and this is the part where I wish I had some GORGEOUS food documentation like my friend Kate does...I get so hungry reading her blog sometimes!! and while you're over there, check out Paris...beautiful)

Oh, and our new favorite snack (this makes us sound like we're crazy but I'm really serious its SOOOOOOOO good!!!!) is/are Kale Chips (I didn't make the lemon mayonnaise or the potato chips for that matter...at least this time). They are SO good and incredibly easy and fast to make!!!!! With kosher salt and pepper sprinkled on top-----wow!!!

Ok so that's enough about veggies...at least one of my head blogs is now on paper---HA!
Much love!!!!

3 comments:

Kate and Geoff said...

ok i love everything about this post. and you are not the only one who writes in her head. I have at least 7-10 blogs in my head at any given time. Its the actually writing them down part that is tricky.

I am going to try kale chips next. And good for you with the cabbage! I'm so trying that next time it comes in our CSA basket.

I miss you, friend! xo

Kyle said...

I'm going to try this cabbage - and the kale chips! YUM!!!

Kyle said...

OK - YUMMY cabbage! Tastes a lot like my brussels sprouts - just much easier!!!