Sunday, April 18, 2010

Strength in What Remains

What a week...

I have been so super sick. I'm not sure if its allergies to the pollen in the air, or to the tile dust blowing through my house.

I have nothing to complain about, I'm SOOOO thankful we are getting our bathrooms retiled but OH MY this is taking forever, and for someone who gets reenergized by being A-L-O-N-E, its awfully stressful having people literally running in and out of the house every second (ok, maybe I am complaining...I'll stop!!)

Oh, and I had to work yesterday...I could barely speak my throat was so raw, I took Brian's car so that he would have mine with the car seat just in case----and I got pulled over TWICE on my way to work for his expired inspection...TWICE!!!!!!! Needless to say, I was NOT very respectful to either officer of "Spring Valley" and was told by the second that he could put me in jail, so I finally shut up...yeah, that's a real classy entrance when you arrive to work, your clients are waiting for you and they say, "oh that was YOU pulled over in the middle of the road???"----awesome...

Well, the good news is----(HA!!)----I've started a really great book, Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. It is really amazing, inspiring...Brian and I watched a documentary the other night on PBS about genocide, Worse than War, and it was so horrifying and just heartbreaking how genocide happens and the rest of the world pretty much turns its back and ignores it. I honestly had no idea how much genocide has happened IN MY LIFETIME that I never knew about. All I had ever really been taught about in school was the holocaust. I couldn't have even imagine how many people groups have been threatened to be wiped out by hateful regimes...

ANYway, this book is about a man who was able to escape the awful tragedies of Burundi/Rwanda, and pursue his dreams in the United States. So far it is so interesting, and his character is just awe-inspiring. It is a really good book----definitely puts things in perspective...

I already just love the main character----


...much love :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing! sounds like one i need to check out! :-)

hope you feel better this week! that's awful!! love you!

Mandy said...

Oh Christy!!! You have been on my mind SO MUCH these past few days!!! I COMPLETELY feel your pain with contractors in your house - such a bittersweet thing! Will definitely be praying that you feel better SOON!

Isn't that book amazing?!?! I read it last year and couldn't put it down. Tracy Kidder's previous book is also fabulous - Mountains Beyond Mountains.

beckley said...

yeah, but i heard that when he got here for the first time, he was really ticked because someone was renovating his bathroom.

hahahahahahaha=)

i'm on week, like 9 or something with no toilet.i know how gross it is. ugh.

sounds like a great read. i'll have to put the name in for book club. we're reading the Lace Reader. Well i'm reading nothing yet, as i was getting through NT's visit, then readin gmy book for 2 weeks from now...

feel better, k?