Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mother's Day OUT...

Wow, well I am in the throws (sp??) of this new season of life as a mom, and this unfamiliar amenity known as Mother's Day Out. I've heard the term before but didn't really know or care what it meant. Then lately, as in the last few months, I have had at least a handful of people strongly suggest that I look into putting Kallen in a Mother's Day Out program. Well, I kind of hesitated at this idea---I mean, isn't that the reason I'm NOT really working right now? My job is to take care of Kallen???

Then, this last month or so---with SWEET little mister becoming ever more opinionated, while being not so interested in speaking his thoughts to me...and his determination to NOT have to sit through a lunch date with even the NICEST of my friends, I decided I may need to heed the advice.

Well, apparently this is a way more complicated task than I ever could have imagined. I mean, first of all there are a million different programs in Houston. I am sticking to only ones that have been specifically recommended, just to have a short list :) Some are insanely expensive, some much more reasonable. Some are one day/wk, some are 3 days/wk. Some are just playtime, some are more structured. Some are at churches, some are not. You get the picture :)

And this is all for FALL 2010.

Now, any of you who know me well, know that I am terrified of commitment. I actually get nervous when I have to commit to a plan a WEEK ahead of time. And here I am having to commit to a whole new lifestyle (being organized enough to drop Kallen off, fed and clothed by 9am) six MONTHS ahead of time...

Trust me I had to do some deep breathing last night to clear my head of this and finally fall asleep :)

Now, this will really make you laugh.
It looks like my first choice school/MDO (which I LOVE by the way!!!!) of course has a waiting list, which means that those of us who do not have older children already enrolled in the program, will be part of "plan B" and "plan A" families get priority. That's fair I think.

However, to get on this waiting list, you have to arrive at the school on Monday February 22nd, with your registration and money and stand in line and the number you are in that line is the number you are on the waiting list. OH MY GOSH!!!!! Are you serious???? I am already freaking out about this. I mean, do I arrive at 5 am???? 4:30???? Will I be alone until 7 when more emotionally stable people arrive, or will I get there at 5am only to find I'm the 50th person in line???? And we're doing this for a MDO!!!!! I mean, I've heard of this for concert tickets, black friday sales, etc etc, but wow...I would have never thought...

So although this is a very peaceful quiet week for me (oh that makes me SO HAPPY!!!) there is a little adrenaline still brewin, while I make my plan to get into Mother's Day Out---ha! I mean, maybe I'll end up pitching a tent or something? I don't know...

If you have any suggestions---feel free to send them my way! :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

wow...can't wait to hear how this plays out! :-)

reminds me of when rebekah was 2 1/2 and all my "mommy friends" started asking me questions about preschool..same thing...show up to wait in line in the middle of the night, etc...it was crazy! made me make the decision to NOT do preschool at ALL because i just couldn't handle the craziness over PRESCHOOL for a 3 YEAR OLD! AHHH!!!