Thursday, March 26, 2009

fruit flies...

Do you remember this book? (really this has nothing to do with my post...) I had to search everywhere to find THIS edition...so very sad to me that they've changed the picture because this cover is SOOOOO nostalgic...all that to say, there's that part in there where they're doing the experiment with fruit flies in school...

...we've got 'em...actually I think we've had them since Kallen was born. I've just been ignoring them hoping they'd go away. I remember seeing them when my mom was in town during those first few weeks.
Well, today I finally decided I've had enough swatting at the air at those fast little guys...so I started doing some research...

...a bit disturbing...

...they arrive due to issues of SANITATION (or lack thereof)...I mean, I don't think they're as gross as roaches or anything, but they are attracted to rotting...uh...ripening fruit. Which now that I think about it...there is usually quite a bit of...on the counter. Especially bananas. Which happen to be their favorite. Oh, bananas and red wine. Interesting.

They have a life-cycle of 10 days, and they lay eggs----GROSS!!!!! So in the middle of Kallen, showering, (sneaking in computer time), and cleaning the house, I'm following the 100+ directions from this article (which is really good, if you ever have fruit flies) and tearing apart my entire kitchen to clean it and get rid of these guys!!!!

I was feeling really bad about this...you know, really responsible...but then I looked across the kitchen...

I mean, I'm not pointing fingers or anything...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy, you are sooooo funny....and that look on Kallen's face, like 'who me'..I just have to laugh everytime I look at that face of his anymore!
Boy, did seeing that book bring back a lot of memories of our reading time together at night so we could fill up that reading card! I ALWAYS looked forward to reading together and Ramona Quimby (?)...so fun! Go make some memories, dear one!

Write Softly said...

BAAAAAH! You crack me up. The pics are TOO perfect. Good luck getting rid of the little critters!

And I loved Ramona Quimby. I remember how she used to call her sister Beatrice "Beezus." And how once she wanted a nice haircut, and they cut her bangs in the shape of a heart, "pixie-ish." Remember that? And did they have a dog named Ribsy, or was that another Beverly Cleary book?

Mandy said...

Christy - you are HILARIOUS!!!! I, too, loved Ramona Quimby.