I've been using this book, First Meals by Annabel Karmel, although there are a TON of great books out there! This one (at least the chapt on 6-9 mos) is a lot of common sense, but still gives you a good starting point, and some good combination ideas. I really needed to walk through it step by step cause I wanted the food to be completely safe for Kallen! :)My first batch was sweet potatoes, and they totally didn't turn out...they were really chunky and Kallen kept choking on them...but its just because I didn't steam them long enough. Potatoes need to be pretty soft in order to puree well.
I've also made pears which are really easy to get to the right consistency and he LOVED them! Right now I'm making apples, and I'm going to make carrots afterwards. Like I said before, I got the Babyfood Maker, but it hasn't come in yet, and you can totally just use a steam basket in a pot of boiling water, and a food processor/blender/etc.
I personally, have been using mostly organic fruits and vegetables. At least for this stage when his body is so little. I LOVE the list of the "dirty dozen" or the most contaminated fruits and veggies from pesticides...if you can't do all organic (which we def can't) these are the BEST to buy organic because of their levels of contamination:
Peaches
Apples
Apples
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Lettuce
Grapes (imported)
Pears
Spinach
Potatoes
We are by no means perfect on this list (in fact I have 4 of these in my fridge right now!) but I do try and do my best. Its amazing when we cut back on "processed food"/snack food and buy organic, our grocery bill is STILL less than typical...(did that make sense?) And to me organic fruits and veggies just TASTE so much better---but again, we def can't do ALL organic!
Then, when I've made a big batch (you'd be surprised how much food just 2 potatoes makes!) I keep some in the fridge for that day, and freeze the rest. I got my trays from Right Start but they're no longer on the site, but very similar to these...
They're in 2 oz portions which are perfect for feeding. After they've frozen, I pop them out and store them in dated freezer bags.He also LOVE bananas and avocados, which, especially when they're ripe, can just be mashed with a fork and I usually mix them with a little breastmilk/formula and some cereal.
I hope this helps if you've been thinking of making baby food. I don't know why, but I was just so overwhelmed by the original concept, but now that I've got the hang of it, its kinda fun!
5 comments:
thanks for posting this! i just made my first baby food this week. carrots and then sweet potatoes. i don't have a book...or fancy machine...or even those cups. i've talked to people that have done it and just went with it. used ice cube trays, steamer and a blender. he's loving the carrots! i'm going to try the sweet potatoes this weekend. it made a TON and i did it all while i was making dinner for everyone else.
nice work, sista!
i used ice cube containers...just be sure they are wahtshmacallit PBA-free with the plastic... and not #5/recycle.
my favorite/ easiest/ most likely to do tip was to keep a mini food processor on my counter (or nearby) and i just thew whatever we were eating into it and wha-la...turkey dinner or chicken and veggies or oatmeal with cranberries...i did it a lot more often when idid it that way.
you are quite the hard working mommy :) i'm very proud of you and inspired by you.
THANKS for posting this. I too was totally intimidated by the homemade food thing, and it's nice to hear I'm not alone. Boy is largely doing table food now that he's one, but we still do organic Gerber stuff (he adores the green beans -- what a weird kid!).
Anyway, I wish I'd given the homemade route more of a try, but definitely gonna keep your post for the next one someday!
Christy - this is a HUGE help!!! I was just talking about this with my mom yesterday. She made our baby food and gave me some tips. I saw your cool machine (which is on my birthday list!), and I'm going to have to buy this book. Thank you so much!!
I've also had the book Super Food by Ruth Yaron recommended to me. I'm not sure if she focuses on organic, but does give guidance on how and when to introduce new foods. I'm looking forward to trying it in a few months down the road!
Post a Comment