Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday...

Hi! Well, its so super beautiful today. Woke up this morning and its in the 40's!!! Which I know I'll be tired of in Jan but for now its SO refreshing to be COLD after such a long, hot summer!! I love actually enjoying hot coffee instead of it making me sick! ha!! This week is one of those weeks where I feel like I have a little too much to fit into my life---especially with an EXTREMELY unpredictable little one :) Our very happy sleep schedule of 8pm to 5am has fallen apart this week. Kallen woke up EVERY HOUR Sun night (thank GOODNESS Brian was actually home to help this time!!) and then every three hours last night. Not sure what is going on?? I'm learning that that seems like it will be my #1 question as a mom---"what is going on???"---it can just be applied to pretty much everything! Soooooo....you'd think he'd be exhausted after all that waking up but now he won't take his morning nap....overtired? maybe....teething? who knows....just being a baby? I guess...what a mystery!!!




On our way to the Women of Vision/World Vision Benefit

So, I never updated on our dinner Saturday, and really, its because it was pretty uneventful--thanks to Brian!! About 3 in the afternoon Sat we began to realize we had NO plan for what to do with Kallen during the dinner we were very commited to going to---so we decided (very faux pas) to bring Kallen with us and just apologize profusely and run out with him ANY time he made a noise!!

Baby Control!

So anyway, everyone was SO super gracious with him and he got super fussy right in the middle of dinner but Brian ran out with him and apparently they went to play in downtown Houston so I could enjoy being with everyone...which was just incredible!!! I can't tell you how many people came up to me afterwards to tell me what I great husband I have---which I needed to hear...you know? Sometimes you really need to see what you have from someone else's perspective...does that make sense???


And oh, the dinner---wow...in my personal opinion, World Vision is just brilliant. Their main purpose is providing clean water, education, food etc to those living in poverty...and enabling them to become SELF-SUFFICIENT by giving them loans to create their own businesses. It is truly a beautiful thing. And they raise up national people instead of sending in "western relief" :) I'm not doing a good job explaining but anyways its amazing and just reminded me of how "American" I am and how much I think I "deserve"----I mean, Hurricane Ike was pretty traumatic for our city...but really, we HAD houses to be damaged, and electricity to lose, and food to spoil...I so forget the way the majority of the world lives. We had 2 amazing guys at our table... one from Vietnam, and one from Nicaragua and they both just kept saying what a wonderful country we live in...THIS time of year its REALLY hard to have that perspective :) but as they shared their stories of immigrating as children it made me realize that despite all our faults as a nation...we have SO much...sooooooo much...I really want Kallen to know that...

Here's a picture to end things with---we got to walk at Memorial Park yesterday with my friend/former boss Liz! So much fun!!!!!

Happy Tuesday!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian is a true 'gift' to you....and to Kallen. He definitely knows how to show you how much he loves you and wants to be an active part of your family....not just a bystander! Do something nice for him today! :-) (Hope he got to eat something on Saturday)

Michelle said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the dinner so much and have found an organization that you've become passionate about. It sounds like they are doing a great work, in other countries and in the hearts of those in this country.

Courtney said...

i want my kids to know that too...it's one of my greatest prayers. i love world vision - they do things so well. and brian is so great to let you just BE there. and i'll come do your laundry :-) if it means i get to see you!