Friday, October 17, 2008

I want to remember...

...not because I want to hold on, but because I know its all going to go so fast. I know that most of the time I'm trying to just "make it through the day" instead of soaking it in...I want to remember...


...the way his cold little hands and feet feel in the morning. The sound of him talking to himself in his crib while I'm lying in bed hoping its not really morning.

...the smell of his little head when he sleeps really hard. The way the fuzz from his blanket gets tangled in the back his hair from trying so hard to break out of his swaddle.

...his huge toothless smile when you peer (sp?) over the side of the crib in the morning, like "I KNEW you'd come get me!!---Now let's PLAY!!"

...the way his little fingers hold onto me while I'm feeding him. How he sometimes finds my strap or shirt and clenches it in his fist like, "don't let me go..."

...the way he always somehow smells a little like stale milk...even after a bath...and it doesn't even gross me out...

...the way he surprises himself when he kicks in the bathtub and the water splashes, and it startles him and his arms and legs straighten out real fast like a little star...

...how well he fits right in the curve of my arm, like it was created just for him...how soft his sweet little skin is and how sometimes when he's having a tough day, its just the only place he wants to be...





Sometimes I just need to stop---stop analyzing his naps, worrying about paying for his college, wondering if we'll ever move outta Houston, dreaming about starting my own business...I just need to stop and feel today, and see today---and today I am a mommy...never thought I'd really be here, but here I am and in all my sleepless nights....I love it...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I could offer advice to you, my dear Christy.......THIS WOULD BE IT!!! These are precious days which will soon be behind, but you will still have your wonderful memories! I still reflect on 'your' early days and marvel at who you were then...and who you have become!!!! AMAZING! I love you and now you understand 'how much' !

diane smith said...

WOW! Now that the tears have cleared, I can see to type. You are so right, time will go by so much faster than you want it to, so soak up every minute. Kallen is a lucky little boy to have 2 such loving parents.

Courtney said...

i'm in tears today. you've got it, Christy. write this stuff down often (that's why i blog - because i will forget it in like 2hours!). it's the little things...

Christy said...

Christy, I love you. You nailed it. This is totally what gets us all through those tough days of raising kids...through no sleep, dirty diapers, disobedience, teenagers...taking time to stop and be in the moment and be grateful makes it all worth it. Thank you for encouraging me to do this as well. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks for remembering these wonderful things about Kallen and encouraging me to be ready to savor mothering a newborn and see all the precious memories we are building in the midst of the challenges.