Thursday, August 7, 2008

a big day...


Wow, well we've had a big day...I guess two big days, tuesday AND wednesday! Tuesday we had tropical storm Edouard hit Houston which just dumped a LOT of rain, and meant we were stuck in the house ALLLLLLLL day! That used to be a hard thing, but now for some reason its a really, REALLY hard thing :)
I've started putting Kallen in his crib for his naps and that works in 30 minute intervals. Still not sure what a nap is supposed to be like--unless its for me, of course! This is a sight I LOVE to see---Kallen all swaddled up and sound asleep---a sight for sore, tired eyes!


Then on Tuesday night, Brian was supposed to go to College Station (about 1 1/2 hrs away) and ride in the back of the plane for his overnight, and then fly the plane home Tues morning. So instead he skipped his flight there, we all drove together, and Kallen and I had a fieldtrip to College Station. Now, that may sound VERY boring--it is literally a small college town with a HUGE college, Texas A&M, and nothing else to do--but it was so, so fun getting out of Houston for the first time in FOUR MONTHS!!!!! And it was great practice on taking Kallen to a hotel... We set up a little barrier of pillows and let him sleep in his infant carrier and it worked pretty well.










Then I went to a play group when we got home--funny enough withOUT Kallen. Brian had arrived home, so I went by myself, and Brian and Kallen got to hang out, and it was AWESOME! I have always been afraid of "playgroups"---don't ask me why? :) but it was SO amazing to be around other moms. Most of the moms had 8-9 month children, but two of them had new babies the SAME age as Kallen and it was so encouraging to talk to them about our questions and struggles and so on. I definitely recommend a play group, and I guess it really should be called a "new mom support group"!! So, big day for us---but while I look back, doesn't sound quite as exciting on paper!!! :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

that's TOTALLY big stuff!i don't think i would have made it when i had rebekah without my playgroup!

Anonymous said...

I see PROGRESS here !!!! YAY! That was such an encouraging blog. Thank heaven for friends who can give advice and encourage you because they have already been where you are and experienced all the same emotions...especially 'sleep deprivation' ! Kallen looks like a very peaceful baby....at least while he is napping! :-) Love to the Smith brigade !

Michelle said...

What a rockin' car seat cover! Who picked that out??